Friday, August 13, 2010

The Signs of Becoming Bilingual 8/13/10

Two nights ago at 3 in the morning, Jared rolled over and started talking in his sleep. He does this quite often, but this time he was speaking in Spanish. He was telling me that it was a good idea to buy a car because it was a good investment. I started laughing so hard; I never thought a person would dream in a language other than their native one.  

Last night I fell asleep while Jared was still studying. I started dreaming that I was translating the sentences that Jared was reading out loud to me. Of course, back in the real world Jared was not reading anything out loud to me. At some point, I woke up and kept asking Jared if he owned a car. The problem was I was still half asleep and had not separated the dream from the real world. Jared could not understand what I was saying and kept saying, “What?” I got frustrated because I thought he didn’t understand my translation, but he had no idea what was happening. I gave up and thought that his teacher would have to correct him in the morning. The next day he asked if I remembered what I had talked with him about last night. He explained to me that I just started talking incoherently out of nowhere. It was hilarious!

1 comment:

  1. That is indeed funny!! Neat times now and memories for later. :-)

    ReplyDelete